Sounds of a courtyard at 8:00 p.m. -- I'm sitting on a park bench next to a pool. I close my eyes. First thing I noticed was the sound of people splashing in the pool near by. The laughter and small talk overpower my senses at first. I then filtered them out and tried focusing on the smaller sounds. There were crickets in the background and cooing of various animals. Filtering past that, I could really hear sounds that I normally don't hear. Next to me was a light pole; I heard the buzzing of electricity surging through the wires. Keys jingled like windchimes as people from Wagner got into their cars; the gravel crunched beneath the soles of their feet. Someone opened the doors of the Village Building, and I heard the key swiper beep and the bar lock of the door click open. As the door closed, I heard the swoosh of air as the doors smashed into their frames behind them. Finally, I heard the distant rumble of cars in the far off distance on S. College Rd.
Sounds of the Library at 1:00 a.m. -- Now, I decided to sit in the library late at night. There are very few people here. I hear the sound of distant people whispering to eachother. It sounds like I'm in a movie theater when people attempt to gossip in the middle of a feature. What they are whispering, is indistinct. The sound of a vacuum cleaner rumbles above me like rolling thunder. As people frantically cram, pencils click against the wooden tables and papers seem to almost slice through the air. A foot is tapping and I feel it with my foot because it is touching the floor. The clock clicks every 'one-one-thousandths' as my life clicks away in this library. Finally, the door rolls on its track back and forth, back and forth. It sounds like rollerblades.
Tuesday, September 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I love how you get past the obvious sounds and seek out the "smaller sounds." Can you imagine how crazy we'd go if we were always so in-tune with this level of environmental sounds?
Post a Comment